Wednesday 9 November 2011

Changing the World of Wikipedia with Dried Cranberries...


Retrieved November 9, 2011 from personal Flickr account http://flic.kr/p/aDf9kx 
In ALES 204 we are leaving our personal footprint on the internet. I now have my own blog, Flickr account, Delicious account, Twitter account, and now a Wikipedia account! The assignment was to add to a stub on Wikipedia. A stub is an article on Wikipedia that is deemed as incomplete, and people are encouraged to add valid information to it. There are many, many stubs on Wikipedia-thus the possibilities are endless! The stubs are organized into topics-ranging from athlete biographies to vegetables to rock songs. I chose to add to the "Dried Cranberries" stub because I am in Nutrition and love food. I also have to admit it was because I have this excellent recipe for White Chocolate Craisin Cookies....and it reminded me of them. Now to get back on track...

To my surprise, the process of editing a Wikipedia page was actually quite simple. When I first went to edit the page, it looked overwhelming with the reference coding. However, once I figured out the <ref name=""> </ref> coding, I was good to go.

This assignment has given me a more positive outlook on Wikipedia, because as long as the author cites the information, one has a source to look back upon. I don't believe Wikipedia is appropriate for scientific articles, but if in need of a quick reference, this can be a source. In an article posted in the Edmonton Journal last week, it further mentioned that Wikipedia can be a source of information, but should not be your only source.

Through this Wikipedia page I feel as if I have made a contribution to the internet. I know this was a small contribution, however it is neat to think that when "Dried Cranberries" is searched on Google, my page can be a resource for people. And just as Kate mentioned, Wikipedia allows us to share our knowledge with others. So go on, update a wikipedia article and spread some knowledge.

Click here to see the Flickr screenshot.


*Note: I did not write the 1st paragraph in Benefits or the paragraph that begins with "Cranberries also have an anti-adhesion...". 

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you Laura that Wikipedia is good for a quick reference. It is nice to have all the information in one place, but the question is if all of that information is correct? -- I mentioned you in my blog. Check it out @ www.kmclean.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete